EuroMarine connects existing marine biological research institutes, which were members of the former marine Networks of Excellence: EUR-OCEANS, MarBEF and Marine Genomics Europe, into a united organization.
EuroMarine will focus on activities related to shaping this integration process, through training, communication and use of shared tools like databases. EuroMarine will also act as a forum to establish and catalyze a vigorous high level scientific community that will be the primordial motor of new high quality research as well as act as a bridge between policy makers and stakeholders in Europe.
A set of 9 major objectives have been defined for integrating the three marine scientific communities in the framework of EuroMarine
- Coordinate activities, foster interactions and shape the integration process through communication activities
- Promote interdisciplinarity in Marine Sciences in Europe and identify the bottlenecks that impede the integration of disciplines
- Develop a common research strategy and a shared vision for the ocean of tomorrow. Establish a communication strategy for the future integrated initiative
- Establish a common roadmap and identify the gaps to be filled. Define a plan of action for establishing Europe as a leader in Marine Sciences
- Develop linkages with Marine European Research Infrastructures and with recently developed initiatives such as the ESFRI roadmap projects LifeWatch, EMBRC, EMSO and harmonize the research priorities and scientific vision
- Develop and reinforce connections with other projects, entities, institutes and stakeholders that are currently structuring the European Research Area in Marine Sciences. Deliver a memorandum of understanding for the creation and construction of an integrated network to be signed by all partners and stakeholders
- Train the next generation of marine scientists. Establish the educational landscape of marine biological sciences in the context of the "new 21st century" marine scientist in a cross-disciplinary perspective
- Engage the European marine data management and scientific communities in durably shaping the long-term integration of data and lead technological developments that integrate data withing and among the fields encompassed in EuroMarine
- Identify priorities for a joint programming call and propose an agenda for its implementation